5.25.2007

Run, Straylight, Run!


On June 19th, Straylight Run with release their sophomore effort, The Needles The Space on Universal Republic Records.

Do John and Michelle Nolan think too much? Straylight Run’s sibling frontpeople – both sing, write, and play guitar and piano, ably enabled in their musical ruminations by bassist Shaun Cooper and drummer Will Noon – don’t seem like eggheads; but there’s no doubting the intelligent design of their gloriously adventurous off-kilter pop and the existential underpinnings of their lyrics.
Asked about “Soon We’ll Be Living in the Future,” the emotionally charged first single off Straylight Run’s forthcoming album, The Needles The Space (Universal Republic Records), John confides: “I’m really happy with how that song turned out because I was finally able to put a finger on a feeling I have about living and dying. It’s a frustrating and terrifying experience living with the full knowledge that at any point in any day you could die, and what would your life have meant? Everything you’re doing – what does it actually mean in the context of your life as a whole? It’s something I probably think about too much. It’s not a good idea to be too thoughtful about such things.”
The Needles The Space (produced by Straylight Run and engineered by longtime SR associates Bryan Russell and Mike Sapone) reveals SR as a more cohesive unit, with the technical grasp to match its creative reach. “I’ve become a better musician so I’m not as limited in my songwriting,” Michelle confirms.
Says John of Straylight Run’s evolving sound, which he concedes is difficult to pigeonhole: “I love pop music; I love hearing a well-written pop song. And I like a lot of music that’s experimental and weird. I’m always looking for ways to take a pop song and rearrange it into something interesting and fresh and original.” Michelle remarks: “We’re very lucky because our fans seem to be open to whatever we do. That gives us the freedom to explore any idea we have.”

Duh (AKA "Soon We'll Be Living in the Future")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home