2.05.2006

Get Drunk and Take Out Your Willie


I hate country music. Seriously, I do. The mere mention makes me think of big tacky 'dos, cheatin' hearts, moonshine and marrying your cousin. Or at least having sex with your cousin. My best friend from high school and I wrote the perfect country song: "Well I raped my mother and I stole her pigs and we all went down to Georgia". (No pigs were harmed in the writing of that sentence). So when I was passed the new Little Willies album (of which Norah Jones is a member), I scoffed at the thought that classic country songs (hear The Little Willies cover Willie Nelson's "Gotta Get Drunk" below) covered by uppity New York yupsters could actually be worth my time. And thensome! IloveitIloveitIloveit. The uptempo songs ("Roly Poly", "I Gotta Get Drunk") bounce better than the latest Britney Spears and the slow stuff (the most traditional Norah Jonesish song on the record "Roll On") is beautiful and heartbreaking in the way that country songs were meant to be beautiful and heartbreaking. Now, I'm not saying I'm converted to country, hallelujah, no indeedy, but this record popped my cherry and now it hurts a bit so it may be a little while before I go back, if at all.

The Little Willies - I Gotta Get Drunk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home